Most nonprofit organizations are started because thee Founder is passionate about filling a gap in their community, or somwhere in society. Let’s talk about it!
So, you started a nonprofit organization because you are super passionate about something, and want to help make a difference. Your friends and family donated a few dollars to show their support, .. Great! Now what? 0825
What is a community?
A group of people living in the same place or having a particular characteristic in common
“the scientific community” (Dictionary.com)
Underserved communities include:
The homeless community – The United States Interagency Council on Homelessness (USICH) is the only agency at the federal level with the sole responsibility of ending homelessness.
The sex trafficking support community –
1. International Justice Mission is one of the largest organizations fighting human trafficking through policy change and training. IJM looks at the bigger picture, working to dismantle the system of human trafficking itself. In many contexts, police, judges, and officials are ill-equipped to enforce anti-human trafficking laws. IJM’s lawyers train local leaders and law enforcers to respond to this crime.
If enacting change through policy-making and training appeals to you, consider supporting IJM’s mission to put an end to modern-day slavery.
2. Love Justice International helps intercept potential victims of human trafficking as they cross borders. By monitoring strategic transit points, LJI identifies trafficking networks to stop trafficking as it occurs. To date, they’ve intercepted over 25,000 individuals and helped authorities arrest over 1,000 suspects.
If you care about stopping human trafficking before vulnerable people are exploited, Love Justice International is a great choice.
By Sara McGeough February 11, 2022
** Update on filing your 990-N: I have been attempting to file my 990 since mid-January, but the IRS page to file the 990-N was “unavailable due to maintenance“.
I spoke with a Rep in the IRS Business division, and she confirmed what I read, but didn’t know when we would be able to file our 990-N/e-Postcard.
Reminder: You can file a regular 990 if you insist on filing a paper copy, even if you have less than $50,000. for the previous tax year.
For important information about tax forms and filing for nonprofit organizations, listen to: 990 Tax Form Tips For Your Nonprofit Organization
I attempted to file our 990-N, again, before recording this episode, and was able to get to the page after you log in with login.gov. I wentered my EIN, and got an error message that said “the system is down. Please try again later.”
Although a bit frustrating, it seems like they are working on the system.
Here are a couple of events to help you elevate your level of service to your community:
I urge you to go back and listen to 990 Tax Form Tips For Your Nonprofit Organization
New Orleans, Louisiana
April 16 – 18
After two years meeting virtually, AFP Icon is back in person for 2023. If you’re involved in fundraising in any way, then you can’t miss ICON, hosted by the Association of Fundraising Professionals. This is the world’s largest conference for professional fundraisers. With an extensive list of workshops and sessions, ICON offers an amazing opportunity to learn all about the latest technologies and strategies in the world of fundraising.
Nonprofit Technology Conference (NTC)
- When: April 12-14, 2023
- Where: Denver, Colorado & virtual conference
- Website: https://www.nten.org/gather/ntc
- What: The longest-running, nonprofit-focused tech conference in the US
- How much: $400 (depending on timing and NTEN membership)
- Audience size: around 2000
- Who attends: Nonprofit communications teams, techies, and some fundraisers
We LOVE the community around this conference. The sessions are well-curated, with specific tracks and great opportunities for networking. There are parties thrown by vendors plus a larger gathering hosted by NTEN. NTEN programmers carefully choose their venues with accessibility in mind, and the whole event is planned with great attention to inclusivity. Be sure to do your homework on the sessions you go, to as some may feel like they’ll require advanced research. Make sure you save time for the sponsor exhibit hall.
Do you have a comment or question? What are most passionate about? Please leave your question or comment below. Thank you!